Yulchon’s Shipbuilding and Maritime Practice offers comprehensive legal services to Korean and international clients in the area of shipbuilding, shipping, and maritime law. It has advised on shipbuilding contracts, ship sales contracts, and ship financing, and has represented clients in various disputes related to shipbuilding contracts, bills of lading, charter parties, ship collisions, and oil pollution.
Through its close collaboration with experts in Yulchon’s other practices, including those in Yulchon’s International Dispute Resolution Practice, Yulchon’s Shipbuilding and Maritime Team is able to serve clients’ legal needs in any shipbuilding, shipping, or maritime matter.
Major Practice Areas
- Review of shipbuilding contracts, ship sale contracts, bills of lading, charter parties, and other transport contracts
- Advice on disputes arising out of shipbuilding, ship sale, and ship financing contracts and representation in relevant litigation and arbitration
- Advice on disputes arising out of bills of lading and representation in relevant litigation and arbitration
- Advice on disputes arising out of charter parties and other transport contracts and representation in relevant litigation and arbitration
- Advice on maritime accidents such as ship collisions and oil leaks and representation both in the procedure for the ship owner's limitation of liability and any related civil or criminal litigation
- Advice on maritime insurance and representation in relevant litigation and arbitration
- Provided counsel on FPSO (Floating Production, Storage and Offloading) shipbuilding contract arbitration brought by one of Korea’s major shipbuilders
- Represented Korean shipbuilder in a case for provisional injunction of proceeds filed by a Greek shipping company claiming the reduction of the shipbuilding cost with respect to the shipbuilding contract between the two companies
- Advised on procedure for ship owner’s limitation of liability with respect to oil spill accident in the Taean Area, South Korea due to the collision of MT Hebei Spirit with a crane barge
- Represented a Korean construction company in a suit for damages brought after the MV GIANT SEA collided with a seawall that was being constructed by the company