Yulchon is recognized as one of Korea’s premier international dispute resolution (“IDR”) practice leaders, with team members possessing years of experience in a variety of international transactions and disputes. IDR is a highly specialized area that necessitates an ability to understand legal systems and issues unique to each country—as well as knowledge of, and experience in, the laws and procedures employed for resolving international disputes. With the growth of international business, disputes have become more specialized, requiring IDR practitioners to have expertise in a variety of subject areas, including antitrust, corporate transactions, construction, outbound investment, intellectual property, insurance, shipping, and others. Not surprisingly, a strong cooperative relationship and network with law firms across the globe is also essential to provide an integrated global service. All of these components are present at Yulchon.
From top to bottom, Yulcon’s IDR practice comprises both Korean and foreign lawyers who have experience in a variety of professional fields, are proficient in foreign languages, and licensed to practice not only in Korea, but also the United States, Europe, and other Asian countries.
Major Practice Areas
- Representation in disputes under such major arbitral institutions such as the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB), International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), Singapore International Arbitration Center (SIAC), Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC), International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), Swiss Chambers’ Arbitration Institution, Vienna International Arbitral Centre (VIAC), Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), and Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC).
- Representation in ad hoc arbitration under the International Arbitration Rules of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) and other types of arbitration procedures
- Representation in domestic, U.S., and European litigations with international aspects
- Coordination with local law firms, drafting and fact-gathering support, and strategic counseling in litigations overseas
- Internal investigations into allegations of violations of the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), Iranian Transactions and Sanctions Regulations, International Traffic in Arms Regulations, and other foreign laws and regulations.
- Advice on establishing corporate compliance programs
- Representation in enforcement proceedings in Korea
- Coordination with local law firms in enforcement proceedings overseas
- Legal advice on Korean law in international disputes
- Legal advice on international arbitration and overseas litigations
- Represented a Korean regional government in an ICC arbitration related to the termination of light rail public-private partnership construction project between the government and a foreign consortium
- Represented a Korean construction company in an ICDR/AAA arbitration over its dispute with an American construction company over a road-building project in Central Asia
- Represented a Korean construction company in an ICC arbitration with a government agency of the Commonwealth of Independent States over a road-building project
- Represented a Korean construction company in an KCAB arbitration over a project finance dispute with a Cambodian developer
- Represented an American ATM seller in a US ICDR arbitration against a Korean ATM manufacturer for issues related to the termination of the dealership contract
- Represented a European fluid cargo distribution company in an ICC arbitration as to its joint investment agreement with a Korean company
- Represented a Korean telecommunications company and a U.S. wireless communication company in an ICC arbitration as to their stock option contract with an Indonesian media company
- Represented a Korean broadcasting company in an UNCITRAL arbitration over a license agreement dispute with a British solution company
- Represented a Korean biotechnology company in a Swiss Rules of International Arbitration (SRIA) arbitration related to its patent licensing contract with a multinational pharmaceutical company
- 2016-09-02 [Who’s Who Legal] Young Seok Lee and Sae Youn Kim recognized as “Leading Commercial Arbitration Experts” by Who’s Who Legal
- 2016-04-07 Represented Euro Apex in an appellate proceeding for enforcement of a Dutch arbitral
- 2015-03-13 Yulchon Contributes Korea Chapter to ASIA ARBITRATION GUIDE
- Korea’s Arbitration Act is revised for a new world, The Lawyer (June 2016)
- Korea Chapter of Commercial Litigation, Thomson Reuters, 2nd Edition, Sweet & Maxwell International Series (2015)
- Korea Chapter of The International Comparative Legal Guide to: International Arbitration 2015, 12th Edition (2015)