Yulchon’s professionals in its Construction & Real Estate Team assist clients from the development stage of construction to project completion and follow-up matters. They have advised construction companies, real estate developers, trust companies, financial institutions, foreign investment banks, pension funds, and real estate management companies on a wide array of matters including transaction structures, litigation, and arbitration.
Yulchon’s experience and expertise in construction and real estate transactions and dispute resolution has led it to be involved in work not just in Korea, but also in East Asia and the Middle East.
Major Practice Areas
- Advice on and representation in issues related to real estate development, urban improvement (redevelopment, reconstruction, environment) /development projects, installation of sports facilities, tourist facilities complex, and industrial complex
- Advice on payments related to construction, repair, delay, inspection, industrial disasters, subcontracts, and environmental claims, and representation in related litigation
- Legal counseling on issues related to financing/offering/long-term investment in the acquisition, development, and construction of real estate, and representation in related litigation
- Advice on legal issues that arise from the management of real estate trusts, and representation in related litigations
- Advice on subcontract-related disputes in the construction industry and representation in related litigation
- Advice on environmental issues related to construction and real estate projects and representation in related litigation
- Advice on and representation in mediations, investigations, and proceedings conducted by the National Environmental Dispute Resolution Commission
- Represented a construction company in an internal dispute among a Korean construction consortium with regard to the execution of a turn-key contract with a Middle Eastern oil refinery
- Represented a construction company in a dispute arising out of the New Town Construction Project in Seoul about additional construction fees in a turn-key tender
- Represented various parties in numerous administrative and civil cases arising out of disputes involving large development projects (redevelopment, reconstruction, etc.)
- Represented a construction company in a civil litigation related to discounted sales in a housing project
- Represented a builder in its dispute with a union for construction fees and other matters in a reconstruction and improvement project managed under a share system
- Represented a construction company in a claim seeking indemnification for damages caused by a construction project related to the Urban Railway Corporation
- Represented a construction company in a civil case over the effectiveness of the dismissal of the operator in an improvement project
- Represented a construction company in a civil case related to a dispute over a special agreement for repurchase in a housing project
- Represented a construction company in a civil case involving the termination of a parceling-out contract due to false/exaggerated advertisements
- Represented a company using harbor crane equipment in an indemnification action against the manufacturer and seller of the crane and company responsible for the construction of harbor facilities, after a typhoon tore down the harbor crane.
- Represented the lead manager of a consortium responsible for the construction of a distribution network in Cambodia in an indemnification dispute
- Represented Korean construction companies in claims for repairs of defects in multiple apartments
- Representation in preliminary injunctions seeking prohibition on the execution of contracts by the central or local governments
- Represented a construction company in a claim for indirect costs incurred by the extension of the project period in construction of subways and railways
- Represented a construction company in an appellate case against a service charge claim issued by a design company
- Represented a building permit applicant in a constitutional complaint claim as to the decision of the Administrative Mediation Commission regarding altitude restriction
- Represented a Korean real estate trust company in a variety of civil and criminal cases in which trustees, parties in a parceling-out contract, financial institutions, construction companies, agents and other concerned parties claimed settlement of profits, refund of installation fees, indemnification, and cancellation of deceptive trusts.
- Advised on disputes arising from large-scale project finance businesses involving public sectors
- Represented a commercial bank in a dispute related to its project finance contract with an agency to develop a large commercial district in Yongin City
- Represented a power company in all legal matters pertaining to building of a private thermoelectric power plant