The European Union (EU) is the biggest foreign investor in Korea and Korea's second largest trading partner. At the same time, Korea’s investment activities in the new EU member states, such as Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Hungary, have been increasing significantly. In light of this, Yulchon has expanded its existing European team. Through our newly formed “European Practice”, we provide specialized and expert legal services to both companies from EU member states investing in Korea as well as Korean companies in connection with their business activities in the EU.
Our professionals are qualified in Korea and in various EU countries, including Germany and the United Kingdom. Our team is focusing on the increasingly active economic relations and investment opportunities between Korea and Europe that have been created by the EU-Korea Free Trade Agreement, which came into force on 1 July 2011.
Additionally, Yulchon has developed a strong network through active participation in the European Chamber of Commerce in Korea (EUCCK), Korean-German Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KGCCI), and Italian Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Korea (ITCCK).
We have an excellent track record of advising numerous EU corporations in connection with their investments in Korea including M&A and large-scale joint ventures. In addition, we have attained valuable experience and knowledge by supporting and advising many domestic corporations entering the EU market.
We are confident that we will be able to provide quality services specifically tailored to the legal and economic dynamics of clients focusing on EU-Korea cross-border transactions.
Major Practice Areas
- M&A and Corporate General
- Strategic Joint Ventures
- Tax and Corporate Finance Structuring
- Development, Acquisition and Management of Real Estate
- Energy and Infrastructure Projects
- Customs and Trade issues
- Intellectual Property
- Labor & Employment Law
- Foreign Direct Investment
- Regulatory Issues
- Dispute Resolution
- Siemens AG in connection with with the acquisition of the Korean company Shinwha Electronics Ltd.
- TÜV Rheinland Group and TÜV Rheinland Korea Ltd. in connection with the acquisition of a Korean company
- Mapei S.p.A. of Italy in connection with the acquisition of Henkel AG & Co. KGaA’s building chemical business in Korea
- J. Eberspächer GmbH & Co. KG of Germany in connection with the establishment of a hot-end exhaust systems joint venture with a Tier 1 supplier for Hyundai Motor Company and KIA Motors
- KIA Motors Europe GmbH of Germany in connection with the acquisition of the distribution business of Kia Motors Company Italy Srl.
- Hyundai Motor Company in connection with the acquisition of the distribution business in Germany and France
- EU-Korea FTA, Asian-Counsel, Pacific Business Press, Hong Kong (co-authored) (2010)
- Ursprungsregeln und Produktkennzeichnung, Korean-German Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Seoul (co-authored) (2008)
- Rechtlicher Rahmen fuer Neue und Erneuerbare Energien, Korean-German Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Seoul (2008)