Yulchon's IP Group is experienced in representing clients in both civil and criminal cases relating to misappropriation of trade secrets. The IP Group is experienced in providing legal advice on identification, creation, and management of trade secrets, as well as implementing preventive measures to guard against misappropriation of trade secrets. Furthermore, the IP Group recognizes the need for quick response to trade secrets misappropriation and is capable of taking action within short time frames. In particular, the IP Group successfully completed several projects to implement comprehensive IP compliance systems involving protection of intellectual property and trade secrets in collaboration with Yulchon’s Tax, Human Resources and Antitrust Groups. Recognizing that trade secrets are most often misappropriated by employees, the IP Group works closely with the client's human resources team to ensure that we provide comprehensive and accurate advice. By combining expert knowledge from multiple disciplines within Yulchon with the IP Group’s experience on trade secrets, the IP Group is able to provide specialized and multi-faceted legal advice.
Major Practice Areas
- Trade secret misappropriation and damages litigations, and petitions for preliminary injunction.
- Criminal cases relating to trade secret misappropriation.
- Litigation, preliminary injunctions, and enforcement of non-compete agreements to prohibit a former employee from transferring to a competitor. Legal response against potential misappropriation of trade secrets, including preservation of evidence and preparation of criminal complaint.
- Agreements relating to transfer and use of trade secrets.
- Advise on setting up infrastructure to prevent unauthorized disclosure of trade secrets.
- Advise on recruitment, resignation, and retirement procedures with a focus on protection of trade secrets.
- Advise foreign companies planning to enter the Korean market on Korean trade secret law.
- Provide support for overseas litigations and disputes relating to trade secrets.
- Represented Company “B,” owner of trade secrets in the bio industry, relating to a preliminary injunction prohibiting a former employee from transferring to a competitor and preventing disclosure of information and trade secrets.
- Represented Company “D,” alleged to have misappropriated trade secrets relating to LCD, in an action for damages and injunction.
- Represented Company “D,” owner of trade secrets, in an action seeking damages and in a criminal action relating to misappropriation of trade secrets concerning incinerator design drawings.
- Represented Company “A,” owner of trade secrets, in a preliminary injunction and damages case relating to disclosure of ink components.
- Advised Korean automotive companies “H” and “K” to implement comprehensive IP compliance systems involving protection of intellectual property and trade secrets.
- Advised a Korean conglomerate “C” relating to issues of former employees working for competitors and setting up new companies.
- Advised a Korean conglomerate “L” relating to drafting and reviewing a trade secret license agreement, trade secret transfer agreement, joint development agreement and supply agreement.
- Advised foreign Companies “B” and “U” relating to trade secret systems and processes for entrance into the Korean market.