In this digital internet age, technological advancements are continuously changing the way people use copyrighted works. As a result, copyright disputes are growing in frequency and scope, thereby increasing transaction costs for right holders and users. Furthermore, in view of the amendments to the Korean Copyright Act in accordance with the Korea-US and Korea-EU FTAs, companies doing business in Korea are exposed to increased legal risks due to uncertainties in the interpretation of the newly introduced amendments.
In view of these uncertainties, Yulchon's IP Group is able to provide balanced yet practical legal advice to clients. The professionals in the IP group have (i) the legal expertise obtained from decades of experience in the judiciary and government service and (ii) the technical background to guide the client through uncertainties in the law.
Major Practice Areas
- Copyright infringement and damages litigations and petitions for preliminary injunction.
- Draft and review contracts (including standard form contracts) relating to use of copyrighted works.
- Analyze potential copyright infringement, including analysis of computer programs.
- Advise on issues relating to copyrights, including survey, registration, evaluation, licensing and transfer.
- Conduct due diligence and advise on copyright issues for M&A purposes.
- Provide pre-litigation analysis against infringers and formulate defenses against improper assertion of copyright.
- Represented defendant in a copyright infringement case relating to violation of SPLA license of Microsoft, where the defendant was cleared of all charges.
- Represented Nuance in a dispute relating to voice recognition software copyright infringement.
- Represented Locus seeking a preliminary injunction against copyright and unfair competition relating to a rabbit character.
- Advised Korean IT company relating to implementation of cloud system.
- Advised Korean IT company relating to MF-Cobol license dispute.
- Advised Korean online gaming company relating to production of a game adapted from a publication.
- Advised the Incheon Asian Games Organizing Committee in relation to a television subtitle format license agreement.
- Advised an insurance company in relation to negotiation and settlement of a software license dispute.
- Advised a Korean IT company in relation to negotiation of a Windchill license dispute.
- Advised a foreign software company in relation to an end user license agreement.